Thursday, March 9, 2017

WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT WHILE RIDING

Note I am a very responsible rider, I do slow down a lot, unlike some cyclist.  It's fun to go fast, but it's not fun to hit someone or hurt someone.  I've seen a lot of unsafe close calls from other riders. In all these cases I do come to a complete stop and I do not barrel my way though.

NOTE:  If people treated cars the same way they treat bikes?  hmmmm?

1. THE SLOW MOVING WALL:  

Ah the wall.   To give you a idea of how wide the park path is two cars can fit side by side on it.  So their is plenty of room.   But the wall is one of those paradox that even baffles Einstien.

If the wall is comes toward you on your bike. The people can see you coming, but they do not move, they just stare at you like your out of your mind.   No their not all holding hands, but some times it feels like it.
The wall is very slow to move, even if you come to a stop the people can not tell which way to move.  It take the wall some time to decide if it wants to move at all.    Mind you the wall is not fast.
And if you come up behind a wall were the people are facing away from you can cause the wall to become even slower.   So take caution.  

2. DOG-XPLOSION! 

The dog-xplosion is always unexpected and unpredictable you never know were it's going to occure and when it does you better not be going fast.
Things you'll hear the owner say.
"My dog is well trained"   Reality dog is no were near trained.
"My dog does not chase bikes" Reality dog chasing everything and anything.
Then their the annoying glares you get from the owners who have no control over their dogs.
How dare you try to ride your bike around or through our massive barking, running and flurry of wagging tails.    


3. DEER CAUGHT IN THE HEAD LIGHTS.
 
Their are two versions of deer caught in the head lights.  The aggressive type and the non aggressive types.   The non aggressive types really have no idea what's going on and will just stair aimlessly at you.  No matter how polite you are, nothing will work on this type.

They will maintain eye contact with you the whole time, not matter how slow you are on your bike.  Everyone else will move to the side, but the deer caught in the head lights will stand their ground, they will not move.    It's like a slow motion version of chicken.    I encountered one guy walking in the middle of road with traffic  that was headed into the park, every one else was walking on the side this guy was right in the middle of the road with his girl friend who was smart enough to realize that she be safer on the side of the road. But this guy was like a rhino standing his ground, the stair down ensued.  I actually got off my bike and rolled my eyes and walked past him.  He grumbled at me and I said to him.   "Don't try doing that with the car behind me."   He just glared at me, then had no choice but to get out of the way.   I just chuckled.    

4. THE CELL PHONE RIDER.

This one scars the shit out of me.  They are very erratic, wobbly and highly unpredictable.    And they come out of nowhere always looking down and not paying attention to were they are going.   When they look up they got this vacant look like they have no idea where they are or what they are doing. 









Now here is the truly scary thing 1, 2, 3, and 4 can happen all in the same day multiple times.  
This can really keep you on your toes.    






No comments:

Post a Comment