Friday, May 3, 2019

CYCLING SAFTEY & NO EASY ANSWERS!

This is just my musing and I don't have all the answers.

YOUR NOT AT BURGER KING & YOU CAN'T HAVE IT YOUR WAY!!!!

Why did I start off the blog this way, because we live in a world were people are surrounded by having it there way, getting there way.
We live in a world were every one expect to have it there way, you've all heard of that shopper blowing a gasket and going "Well I've been shopping here since I was 5 years old, I practically own the store".   What's this have to do with cycling a lot.  Were dealing with a mentality's.  Were dealing with people who when they step out side of there door, everything has to go there way.  Now put them on a bike, or behind the wheel and that were you have the problem. 


If your going to put your self in a dangerous situation, you got to take responsibility for it.  

I'm not going to lie and say I've never done a stupid maneuver on a bike, I have.   But the majority of the time I'm very level headed.   If I lose my bike, that's it, it's game over and I don't want that to happen.  So I'm extra cautious.  

Here whats going on when I'm on a bike.
1. Thinking Ahead.  If there's a corner I will per-visualize a dog or another cyclist, so I'm ready to react. This is automatic for all my rides.  And this has got me out of tight jams many of times.
2. When I ride with a group, I'm looking ahead of the group, I'm also listening.
3. I will stop for all stop signs, even in the park.
4. I will slow way down for people walking, kids and dog.
I see so many cyclist just whiz by people with out even thinking, they just get so use to it, it becomes a norm.  I just know that I'm not going to be the person slamming into someone walking. 
5. I try to stay off the roads as much as possible, I tend to ride thought the park, communities and off the beaten path.   They do have there challenges, but the cars are not going fast.   Usually what I see on my rides is people pulling in and out of there driveways.

When I get on my bike I am responsible for my safety.  I'm responsible for putting my helmet on and making sure my bike is in working order.  I'm responsible for making sure that I don't do any bull headed maneuvers that are going to make drivers in cars hate me.   However I could be the safest  cyclist out there would be people who would still hate me.   Why is that?
 
There is two classification of cyclist.

The first type is the cyclist that does there best to adhere to the laws. When cycling by them selves they pay attention and obey the laws.  Group rides have a good leader, leader is hard ass on safety.  Cars come by everyone goes single file and all laws and safety are obeyed. Rides are orderly. 

The second type of cyclist is the cavalier and totally owns the road, they are govern by arrogance.  Most don't wear a helmet, but some do.  They don't obey laws, they basically think that nothing is going to happen to them.  They literally think that share the road does that applies to them, because they have a bike. And when there on the road they take up the whole lane. Now apply this to a group ride and it can become disastrous.  This is evident in many You Tube video were you see 35 cyclist taking up the road and flipping off the driver when they call them out.  These people are the arrogant type.  They don't give a fuck about there own safety and the others.

Now add disgruntled angry drivers and we got a big ugly problem that has no easy answers!

And now here the biggest problem we pump out signs, warnings, 3 feet signs, advertisement and every thing else we can think of and the only people who are aware of them are cyclist.   The people who are suppose to be paying attention to them don't give a fuck and what I mean don't give a fuck, these are the people who are will and do endanger cyclist live and do not what to share the road.   Aggressive motorist are out there and they will not hesitate to hit of bully a cyclist.  Even if the cyclist is in the right lane and obeying the law.
My idea.   If you hit a cyclist and if was out of aggression suspend there license for a full year and fine the hell out them and raise there car insurance. Hit them in there wallet is the only way to get them to really pay attention.  Showing them a flyer, they'll just rip it up and tell you to fuck off.   Stop the advertisement that is only preaching to the choir and use it to fund cycling project like path's, bridges, safe area's for family to ride.



No comments:

Post a Comment