Saturday, January 19, 2019

JUST TRYING TO WRAP MY HEAD AROUND THIS.

 Well I'm going to be honest I'm very apprehensive about writing this blog, but it seems I've been on a personal journey of self discovery since I found out that I have Aphasia. But with this new discovery I felt like I've been sucker punched double time, because in researching Aphasia and for the first time in my life at age 44 have just discovered people can't visualize things in their mind eye (Dumbfounded look goes here) Say what???  And there is more some people can touch, taste, smell and hear as clear as day in their minds eye.    What I really though I was experiencing as sound was not what I thought it was. Because in one of my post I talk about playing music in my head, apparently it something completely different.  

I just discovered about three days ago I have something called Total Aphantasia.  This is what I see at all times.
I can not see imagines in my mind eye, nothing nadda zip.  This is 24/7.  When I read a book nothing, when people say just imagine it, nothing.   This made me really depressed lately, hence no cycling.   I don't see words in my head when I think.   I'm still trying to figure out how the I process things.   This might explain why I take pictures like a mad person, it's my only way to create memories of the experience.  Most people go yeah that was a awesome ride we did and can bring up images, smells and so on of the ride and so on.   I have no problem conceptualizing aspect of the ride, it was hot, it was windy, but I can't bring up mental images of the ride.  But I really don't know how I conceptualize it at all.  I'm still learning. 

 But wait I can draw? Don't you have to use your minds eye and imagination to draw, right?   Apparently I have imagination, but it works on a completely different system. I can not come up with original ideas, but what I can do is look at images and use that to create my own.   I'm currently painting some abstract and you could literally say I'm flying blind. 

And what is even more mind boggling is that Aphantasia was just discovered in 2005.

Another reason I'm posting this is check your kids out if you have them, this could save them the agony of sitting and staring at a book and having the teacher ask them questions they literally can't answer.         


       

No comments:

Post a Comment