Monday, January 29, 2018

FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD (ICE AGE MOVIE)

Hubby wanted to see the route.    When he saw how far out in the middle of no were I would be riding he kind of flipped out and started to rattle of scenarios of what if.
What if your dropped and there is no phone reception?
What if you crash!  No one is going to come back for you and on and on.
So I still want to do the ride, but I have to do it in such a way that it makes my hubby feel safe that I'm safe.   The count down begins.  The ride is in 6 days. (dramatic music here).
So crap.

So here is a description of what we saw on the drive.   It's a beautiful, even thought it was overcast it was still beautiful.    Going toward Meridian there was lot's of mud on the side of the road as for thickness I could not tell, but mud is mud.    The whole road way up to Lassen Rd was ok nothing exciting.   As we turned onto Lassen Rd it was is was clear, but a ways in there is a big piece of lumber and what looks like thick pieces of splinter wood all over the road, not a huge pile.   The rest of the ride to corning nothing look that menacing.   The route is very easy to follow we had no problems finding our way.   From Corning to Paskenta was also very nice and smooth.  The Paskenta school house very small and cute. And as we entered Paskenta it's self we were greeted with a nice smile and wave from a lady tending her garden.   And yes the gas station and store are small.    This is 50 miles.    Turn the corner and up, and up we go.   The elevation map is very deceiving, because it show the road going down.  They aren't big hills, but more like big rollers of up and down and up and down.   We got to the gravel rd and the first thing that struck me is 200 to 300 cyclist barreling down loses gravel at 25 mph or what ever speed they do.   Holy shit how do they remain up right.  And when your in close proximity to another rider are you eating gravel?  They have to be, there is no way around that.  Minerals Al la cart?      Yesterday I forgot to mention I caught a beetle in my mouth the size of a big pea.  That sucker was hard core.  When I removed him, he turned around gave me the finger and flew away.  

Now gravel is one thing.   What came next made my mouth drop.  In vision a mad man with a jack hammer taking all his rage out on about 3 miles of rode.  It was the Holiest of all roads.   I mean driving on it with the car was horrible.  The holes were deep, you know how a tree looks like after a wood pecker attack it for years on end. That is what the road, well what was left of the road looks like.  This cyclist are going to have chipped teeth seriously.   And what made us laugh really hard was after that jarring car ride. We finally go to smooth pavement and low and behold the sign came up said Rough Rd ahead.   Really, then WTF did we just drive on.   The rest of the rough rd drive was a dream compared to the Cheese Grater from Hell.   Yeah that road top the cake for the worst road I know of in California.  I'm sure there is more, but for what I know this should win a award.  
Oh yeah my brain was taking in every single up hill turn and what not.  I could visualize my stages of suffering.    Suffer fest!
And did I mention the absurd amount a vultures.  What up with all the vultures seriously they even make there nest right next to the road.  Do they swarm to this area because of the riders?   The ones who fall behind and can't make it.  (.......I can read your mind I know exactly what you are thinking about me!.....)  No I am not going to be eaten by a vulture, I'm way too tough.   But have other cyclist fallen and that is what keep the vultures coming back?  Questions, questions and more questions.?  

Well the rest of the drive was good when I got to Orland I knew exactly were I was and getting to River Rd was easy.    But I still down know were Giswold Farms is.   Go figure. 

So like I said my 100 ride will be determined Wednesday, that when I find out if I'll have a driver who can spot me.  My hubby does not drive, but it will be guaranteed he will be in the car.


No comments:

Post a Comment