Wednesday, September 20, 2017

45 MINUTES

(note: I'm not familiar with all the terminology.)   

Took a break today and changed my first flat by my self.  ow....  This time I really did lose some skin in the game.  45 minutes that how long it took me to change the back tire.  That back tire has is out for me.  If I didn't know any better I would think that the tire was super glued to the edges.  I had a hell of a time trying to release it from the wall.....grrrrrr.  Finally got it to release off on one side and struggled to try to get the other side to release which it would not.   So I was like ok, got to move on.   I shoved the tire lever in and hook it to a spoke and use the other one to release the side wall, it worked, mind you the other side is still firmly attached, I tried several times to get it to budge, not happening.   So move on.   I pulled the tube out, and it was not a puncture in the tube, because when I pump it up the air started coming out of the side wall next to the air nozzle.  It was a weird circular shape that didn't look right, so maybe just a defect.  Could not find any thing else except that.  
Took my last tube and inflated a little and started to push it in all the way around and then while I was doing that I heard a very loud pop and the other side wall suddenly released.  DANG!   Then I was able to work it lose all the way around.  Got the tube in.  Then I started pushing the tire back into place with in the rim.  Going fine until I realized as I was pushing it on it was coming back off.  This is what took the most time.  So I got creative and I wedge one tire lever in to keep it from coming off.  Then taking skin off I keep rolling the tire back over the rim as hard as I could, the was the most time consuming process.  I just kept doing this over and over, then when I was at my wits end I grabbed the tire lever and used it in reverse to shove the edge in a little bit at a time, it worked.  OMFG!    I don't know it that was the right thing to do, but I did it.    Then I started to pump up the tire.  It made several loud popping noise, I think that the bead setting it self.   And yeah I changed my first tire.          I just don't understand why the front tire is a breeze to change and the back tire is not.   Oh well.  
Going for a ride tomorrow.   Then joining the Friday Group ride to Forest Ranch Market.   

No comments:

Post a Comment