Sunday, September 17, 2017

MY THOUGHTS ON E-BIKES AKA CHEATER BIKES


This is just my opinion, not law. 
    
On the left is a scooter bike and on the right is a e-bike.

Scooters can go 30,40 and some have speeds that allow them to go on the freeway.

E- bikes on the other hand 80mph.   You tube it.  People are chop shopping their bikes to go faster.
  
The third on is a indoor stationary bike.  50 to 110 rpms.  

And at the bottom a road bike.  Human power top speeds.  Professionals max out at 45 mph ( not going down hill). Although going down hill makes you go 65 miles an hour. (Tour De France)


Let's stay in a alternate reality that I had decided to buy a e-bike when I was 325lbs.   Let's also say that I had no real drive to ride a bike.  I would get on my e-bike and yes I would peddle, but sense the bike is equipped to do the work for you, each and every chance I would have to get a good work out I would probably pass up and let the bike do the work.   Look at this way.  I want to fly a plane, but I have no experience, nor do I desire to want to put in any effort to really learn how to fly a plane, but I am willing to pay someone to control the plane from the ground as I sit in the planes seat and pretend to fly the plane.  Yeah I can boost that I'm flying a plane, but I'm cheating, because the guy on the ground is doing all the work.   

To me the scooter, e-bike and stationary bike are all the same.   Why?  Because when the shit hit's the fan.... 
1. Stationary bike no mater how far you ride, you still at a location that you can get off at anytime and you have everything you need right at your finger tips, your always in a safe area.  Any excuse you can think of to get off the bike.  You have no real meat in the game.  As for a  road bike if your out 65 miles, you've got to work your ass off to get back home, no switch to make it easier for you. 
When you get on a stationary bike your weight remains the same, because you are not moving the stationary bike.  
  
2.  Scooters.  This is a bike from getting from point A to Point B.  I don't really see these as being a serious thing for cyclist.  I've never seen a scooters in a pace line, have you?  To me these are very practical for in town shopping and errands.    But like the stationary bike, you are still with in a safe zone and always near what you need. 
Scooter bikes weight from 220 to 500lbs   

3. E-bikes.   To me is basically a hybrid mash up of scooters and a stationary bike, that looks like a road bike that is in reality a primitive motorcycle. 
  With a road bike, your batteries are your whole body with a e-bike you have to charge your batteries and carry extra if your going further.  So if you mess up and don't map out your ride and run out of battery life your basically royally screwed.  Because you have been letting the bike do all the work, you now have to peddle up and down those hills you just road over.  But most likley you'll just grab your cell phone and call a friend to pick you up.  
I've been watching examples of e-bikes and no one is peddling.  Why do e-bikes have peddles?

E-bikes weigh in a a hefty 50 pounds, this is the average it also depends on the brand.
  So again let imagine me in a alternate reality.  I'm still 325lbs I poo poo the idea of getting a comfort bike, because I actually have to put effort into it.  I go hey let's get a e bike, it can help make the ride easier.   I weight 325 and the bike weights 50, may be a additional weight of 5 pound for a back pack with stuff in it.  My total wight. 380lb.    
The maxium weight a e- bike can take is 250lb rider.   
With that being said.  I would not be were I am today, why, e-bike do all the work for me, so why on earth would I want to put any effort into climbing hills by my self.   I would probably be still 325lb or even more.  
I can see e bike being beneficial for people with knee problems or legs problems.  But if you able bodies and have nothing wrong I say jump on the bike and not the e-bike.     

 When you put effort into something your reward is satisfaction and accomplishment.
    
Now compared to my Airen 1 Diamondback Bike.  It's maxium weight limit is 280lb.  
My bike weighs 21.38lbs, I weigh 245lbs with additional 2lbs for my tools, water. ect.  So my total weight on my bike is  268.38lbs.   That's only a 11.62lb difference.    
So when I get on my bike I have to work to get to were I want to go, my battier is me, I don't get a free ticket to anything.  If I ride 35 miles or 50 I've got to get my own ass back, no flick of the switch and the bike takes over.

My first experience with a e bike was in the park on a ride. I was going about 18 mph and this guy whooshes by me, but he's not peddling.  Say what...?   Then he start's peddling and looks back at me smugly.  Really?  His whole demeanor was like yeah I passed you just by peddling when he was clearly not peddling.  This is why I call them cheater bikes.    How many people are going to do this?  A lot. 






No comments:

Post a Comment