Monday, May 14, 2018

20.67 MILES & FOREST PEGUINS


Did a bit of a shorter ride today.     Now what the heck is a forest penguin?  This is what I call Quail, because they remind me of penguins, but a whole lot faster. 
There is quail babies all over the place, so while your shredding those mountains, burning up the pavement or just taking a leisure ride.  Keep in mind when you see the adults slow down a bit and be mindful because the little fluffies are so tiny, really tiny.    Squished tiny fluff balls are not good.  
Last year Chris and I had the amazing experience of helping a ma ma quail.   Her 15 babies were so tiny they could not follow her over the curb, so Chris and I gently picked them up and help them so they could follow ma ma.  So cute.  I put stones on each corner of the area so the babies could hop on the stone and hop up on the curb.  They feel like a cotton ball with legs.
 Another ever smaller creature feature you might see in the park now is the Pipevine Swallowtail caterpillar.   I do my best to avoid them when riding, it's a challenge.  I ended up hitting one anyway, while avoiding another.  So yeah.   But never less I'm on the look out and will do every thing I can not to smash them.   But tons get smashed, by other people.   Yeah there not pleasing to look at, but there beautiful in there own way.
Pipevine swallowtail butterfly. 



Doing laps.  Decided just to stick to Chico canyon rd

 Yes I did, I climb this tiny terror twice, and it's really steep.  So some easy climbing with 2 sets of steeper climbing. 
The best part about getting home is the Mulberry bush.   Nom nom nom, as I as eating, a group of cyclist past me and I guess they were lost, because I heard the lady say I have no idea were we are.  But at the end she added, "But on the way back were stopping and eating some berries.    LOL   Believe you me there is enough. This tree is loaded. 

No comments:

Post a Comment