Monday, June 4, 2018

RESCUE DAY!

What more important than a bike ride?  Baby quail.     
 1/2 mile into my ride I came around a corner and a ma ma a pa pa quail babies were all over the bike path horribly hot.  They were so weak that they didn't even try to run away.  I picked one up and cooled it down with my water bottle and gave them a drink of water.  She had a raft of them.  I only was able to help about 4 and the rest were in the undergrowth.  So I did what I could.  This is the very first one I cooled off, and gave water. 
 looking a little more alive.
 So weak and zapped of energy.  They could not run.  I had to pick this guy back up and move him to the other side of the path were the parents went.   I left my water bottle next to him.  Got back on my bike road down the road a bit then came back.  And he was gone.  :)   I could not hear pee's coming from the grass anymore so I was ok there safe with there parents.   I was headed back to my bike and heard a little peep coming from a direction further down the road on the other side.  

This is were I found this little guy.  In this picture he very weak, but not dying.   When I found him he was streached out on the hot pavement and looking like he was at death door.  I bathed him in cool water and blew on him, he got some water as I cool him down.   I was like don't die in my hands.  All he needed was to be cooled down.    

 Taking him to his new recovery home.
 Look new siblings  
And here he is with a new sibling.  When we turned him over to the care taker he was back to him self.  The pile of feather in the middle is suppose to replicate the mothers feathers they hide under.












 To give you a idea how tiny they really are the yellow chick is a chicken and the brown one is a pheasant chick.  3 inches tall.  The baby quail is under a inch high.
Can you spot the babies.?

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete